Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
in high school volleyball tonight…
• Houghton plays at Calumet, Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Hancock visits Gwinn.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at L’Anse.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City hosts Ironwood.
• Jeffers travels to Ewen-Trout Creek.
• Chassell entertains West Iron County.
• Baraga welcomes Watersmeet.
• Ontonagon visits Bessemer.
In cross country…
• Houghton, Calumet and Hancock will be among the teams running at Westwood.
The Michigan Tech hockey team blanked Lakehead University 6-0 in an exhibition contest last night. Ryland Mosley had a goal and three assists. Logan Pietila scored twice, and Kyle Kukkonen, Kash Rasmussen and Arvid Caderoth also found the net. Max Vayrynen made 15 saves to earn the win in his Huskies’ debut.
The Red Wings couldn’t climb out of an early hole, and lost to the Penguins 3-2 last night. After falling behind 3-0, Dominik Kubalik and Dylan Larkin scored in the third period. Ville Husso played the first two periods in net, and allowed all three Pittsburgh goals. Jussi Olkinuora stopped six shots in the third period.
Detroit continues its exhibition schedule tomorrow at Washington. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons open their preseason campaign tonight against the Knicks in New York. Listen for select Pistons regular-season games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers held off the Mariners 4-3 last night. Bryan Garcia pitched into the seventh, gave up three runs, and earned the win. Javier Báez hit a two-run homer.
The Tigers play two at Seattle today. Eduardo Rodriguez will start against Marco Gonzales in the opener, and Garrett Hill will pitch against Chris Flexen in the nightcap. Coverage will begin at 5:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers scored twice in the bottom of the 10th to edge the Diamondbacks 6-5 last night. The Crew trailed by three in the bottom of the ninth, but tied the game when Hunter Renfroe homered, and Christian Yelich and Kolten Wong both scored on an error. Arizona plated one off Brad Boxberger in the top of the 10th. In the bottom of the inning, an RBI single by Willy Adames tied the game, and Renfroe then singled home the game-winner. Christian Yelich also homered.
The Brewers entertain the Diamondbacks again tonight. Eric Lauer will pitch against Zac Gallen.
The late heroics weren’t enough to keep Milwaukee’s playoff hopes alive. The Phillies won their game, and clinched the final National League Wild Card berth.
In last night’s game, the 49ers stopped the Rams 24-9.
If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 12 games correctly to qualify to become our weekly winner.
The Houghton Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization is hosting the first Gremlins 5K walk/run along the Houghton waterfront Saturday. The event starts at 9:30 at Ray Kestner Waterfront Park. Registration is $25. For more details, click here.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tonight – Houghton volleyball plays at Calumet. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Thursday – Houghton volleyball entertains Lake Linden-Hubbell. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Friday – Houghton football plays at Calumet. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.