Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school hockey Saturday…
• Hancock skated past Manistique 6-1.
North Central High School captured its third-straight Eight Player Division Two state championship Saturday, with a 66-26 victory over Mendon. Martin claimed the Division One title defeating Merrill 74-24. Both games were played at the Superior Dome.
In 11-player semifinals involving U.P. teams Saturday…
• Iron Mountain’s season ended with a 41-14 loss to Ubly in Division Eight.
• Negaunee edged Reed City 14-13 to advance to the state championship game. The Miners will face Grand Rapids West Catholic Friday at 4:30 at Ford Field.
Pewamo-Westphalia claimed the Division Three state volleyball championship by defeating Kalamazoo Christian 3-1 Saturday. Christian had eliminated Calumet 3-2 in the semifinals Friday. Mount Pleasant Sacred Heart dropped the first two sets, then came back to claim the Division Four title 3-2 over Athens. The Irish had eliminated Forest Park in the semifinals 3-0 Thursday. Bloomfield Hills Marian defeated Northville 3-1 to take the Division One crown, and North Branch won the Division Two title with a 3-0 win over Cadillac.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team downed Minnesota-Crookston 82-62 Saturday. Katelyn Meister led a balanced Huskies’ attack with 15 points.
The Northern Michigan women’s team lost 86-74 at Southwest Minnesota State Saturday.
At the Hope College tournament in Holland, the Finlandia women’s team dropped a narrow 84-80 decision to Denison University in the consolation match. Natalie Bartle scored 24 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. She was named to the all-tournament team.
Danny Zuchak scored 23 points, as the Finlandia men’s team edged Martin Luther College 94-91 Saturday. With the Lions clinging to a one-point lead, former Jeffers standout John Schutz sank two late free throws to seal the win.
The Michigan Tech hockey team completed a sweep of St. Thomas with a 4-3 win Saturday night. Ryland Mosely’s short-handed goal with two minutes remaining was the game-winner. Trevor Russell, Jake Crespi and Jack Works also found the net. Blake Pietila stopped 15 shots.
Northern settled for a weekend split at eighth-ranked Minnesota State, with a 4-1 loss Saturday evening.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team lost 3-1 at St. Norbert Saturday. Max Messier scored for the Lions, who were outshot 42-13.
The Finlandia women’s team fell 8-0 at St. Norbert Saturday. The Lions were outshot 61-5.
The Red Wings ripped the Blue Jackets 6-1 Saturday night. Filip Hronek scored twice, and Dylan Larkin had a goal and and two assists. Ville Husso stopped 27 shots.
The Wings host the Predators Wednesday. Coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons visit the Kings this evening.
• The Lions visit the Giants for a 1:00 game on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Chiefs visit the Chargers in the Sunday night game on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tuesday – Houghton hockey plays at Marquette. Coverage begins at 5:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Friday and Saturday – Calumet hockey entertains Hancock in the Copper Island Classic. Coverage of both games begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and results to email@example.com.