In girls high school basketball last night, Calumet fell to Negaunee 50-35. Lizzie Torola led the Copper Kings with 10 points..
On the girls schedule tonight…
– Hancock entertains Westwood.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Baraga.
– L’Anse welcomes Ontonagon.
In boys action last night…
– Houghton got past Calumet 61-57.
– Chassell downed Hancock 76-57.
On the boys schedule tonight, Ontonagon entertains Bessemer.
The Houghton Alpine ski team visits Marquette today.
In high school hockey tonight…
– Calumet welcomes U of D Jesuit. Our broadcast will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Houghton entertains Brighton.
– Jeffers hosts Escanaba.
In high school hockey tomorrow…
– Calumet hosts Brighton. Our broadcast will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Houghton welcomes U of D Jesuit at 1:00.
– Jeffers entertains the Northwest Icemen from Barron High School at 2:00.
The Houghton High School swim team hosts the Houghton Splash tournament tomorrow.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams opened 2020 with victories over Wayne State last night.
Hannah Hobson scored 19 points, as the women’s team earned a 69-55 win. The game was close until the Huskies took control late in the third quarter.
The men’s team took control early, and defeated the Warriors 80-68. Kyle Monroe had 35 points and 10 rebounds.
Both Tech teams welcome Ashland University tomorrow. The women’s game starts at 1:00, and the men’s contest at 3:00.
Both Wildcats teams host Wayne State tomorrow.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The Northern Michigan University hockey team skates at Bowling Green tonight and tomorrow night.
The Michigan Tech hockey team plays non-conference games at Arizona State tomorrow night and Sunday.
The Tech hockey team nearly swept the WCHA December Players of the Month honors. Eric Gotz was named top defensive player, Matt Jurusik earned top goaltender honors, and Logan Pietila was named Rookie of the Month.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team plays at Concordia-Wisconsin tonight and tomorrow.
The Lions men’s basketball team lost 101-66 to Northland College last night. Dylan Underwood led the Lions with 16 points. Joe Heininen added 13.
The Lions men’s team will entertain Alma College tomorrow at 1:00.
The women’s basketball game that was scheduled for tomorrow against Great Lakes Christian has been postponed. No makeup date has been announced.
Great Lakes Hockey League
The Calumet Wolverines visit the Marquette Mutineers tonight.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Dallas Stars tonight. Coverage will begin at 8:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons’ struggles continued with a 126-112 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers last night. Nine Pistons scored in double figures, led by Bruce Brown’s 15 points. Blake Griffin sat out, as he continues to battle knee problems.
The Pistons visit the Golden State Warriors tomorrow. Pregame coverage will begin at 8:05 on 99.3 The Lift.
The NFL playoffs open tomorrow…
– Buffalo plays at Houston at 4:35.
– Tennessee visits New England at 8:15.
– Minnesota kicks off at New Orleans at 1:05.
– Seattle plays at Philadelphia at 4:40.
Hear all of the NFL playoff games, including the Super Bowl, on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Lions coaching staff makeover continues. Defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni and offensive line coach Jeff Davidson are leaving the team. Both said they will take some time away from coaching. Pasqualoni’s defense was the second-worst in the NFL this season. The Lions now have eight coaching vacancies to fill.
In the freestyle sprint competition at the U.S. Cross Country Ski Championships on the Tech Trails yesterday…
– Gus Schumacher of the Alaska Winter Stars took the men’s title. Kjetil Baanerud from Northern Michigan University finished fourth.
– Hailey Swirbul of the APU Nordic Ski Center won the women’s competition.
– James Kitch from Harvard University won the men’s junior title.
– Waverly Gabhardt of the University of Vermont took the junior women’s crown.
Link to full first-day results here.
Competition will continue with the freestyle individual today.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.