In girls high school basketball last night…
– Calumet got past L’Anse 57-52. Lizzie Torola led the Copper Kings with 15 points. Addison Mattson and Maija Rice each scored 15 for the Purple Hornets.
– Houghton fell to Escanaba 70-65.
– Baraga shut down Jeffers 60-35.
– Ontonagon stopped Watersmeet 54-25.
On the girls schedule tonight…
– Calumet hosts Gwinn in a make-up game from January 24th.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Chassell in a game that had originally been scheduled for last night.
In boys action last evening…
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City overpowered Watersmeet 81-42.
– Jeffers defeated Bessemer 71-48.
– Calumet lost to West Iron County 56-39.
On the boys schedule tonight…
– Hancock visits L’Anse.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell travels to Bessemer.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City plays at Baraga.
– Jeffers hosts Ewen-Trout Creek.
– Chassell travels to Republic-Michigamme.
– Ontonagon plays at Wakefield-Marenisco.
In high school hockey, Calumet, Houghton and Hancock play at the Trenton MIHL Showcase this weekend.
– Calumet faces Livonia Stephenson this afternoon at 1:30, and Trenton tomorrow at noon. Our coverage tomorrow’s game will begin around 11:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Houghton takes on Riverview Gabriel Richard tonight at 8:20, and Cranbrook tomorrow at 12:20. Our coverage of tonight’s contest will begin around 8:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Hancock will meet Utica Eisenhower this morning at 10:10, and Warren de la Salle tomorrow at 8:40. Our coverage of tomorrow’s game will start at 8:20 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Jeffers skates at Ashland tomorrow.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The Michigan Tech hockey team hosts Lake Superior State in the Winter Carnival series this weekend. Faceoffs are at 7:07 tonight and 5:07 tomorrow night at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
The Northern Michigan University hockey team plays at Minnesota State tonight and tomorrow.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams defeated Purdue Northwest last evening.
The women opened an early lead, and snapped their five-game losing streak with a 63-53 victory. Ellie Mackay led the Huskies with 16 points.
The men outscored the Pride 82-72. Dawson Bilski had 26 points, and Owen White added 21.
Both Tech teams will host Wisconsin-Parkside tomorrow afternoon. The women’s contest will start at noon, and the men’s game at 2:00.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team lost 8-1 at Saint Scholastica yesterday. Teddy Randell scored the Lions’ only goal. Those teams play tonight at 7:15 at the Houghton County Arena.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team visits Saint Scholastica for games tonight and tomorrow.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team hosts Mount Mary tomorrow evening.
The Portage Lake Pioneers visit the Marquette Mutineers for games tonight and tomorrow.
The Calumet Wolverines have the weekend off.
The Detroit Red Wings broke their nine-game losing streak with a 4-3 shootout win over the Buffalo Sabres last evening. Dylan Larkin scored twice in regulation and once in the shootout. Tyler Bertuzzi scored in regulation, and Andreas Athanasiou netted the final goal in the shootout. Jonathan Bernier stopped 29 shots.
The Wings visit the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight. Coverage begins at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons will visit the Oklahoma City Thunder this evening.
Yesterday, the Pistons sent Andre Drummond to the Cleveland Cavaliers. In exchange, they get guard Brandon Knight and center John Henson – both journeymen whose contracts expire at the end of the season. They also receive Cleveland’s second round draft choice in 2023. To make room for Knight, Detroit has waived guard Tim Frazier. Knight was Detroit’s first round pick in the 2011 draft, and played two seasons for the Pistons. The trade removes a potentially expensive question mark heading into next season – Drummond could have become a free agent, or invoked a $29-million contract option.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.