Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
The local high school hockey season opens tonight…
• Houghton entertains Escanaba. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Hancock hosts Alpena at 7:00.
• Jeffers welcomes Cheboygan at 7:00.
• Houghton hosts Hartland. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Hancock entertains Hartland at 2:00.
The one remaining U.P. team in the high school volleyball tournament, Forest Park, meets Leland in a division four state semifinal match this afternoon at 2:00 in Battle Creek.
The Michigan Tech women’s soccer team fell 3-0 to unbeaten and top-seeded Ashland in the opening game of their NCAA tournament regional last night.
Northern Michigan will host the other opening-round series today. The second-seeded Wildcats will play seventh-seed Maryville at 1:00. Grand Valley State will face McKendree at 10:00 a.m.
The Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference volleyball tournament wraps up this weekend at Grand Valley State. Fourth-seed Michigan Tech faces the top-seeded Lakers at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon. Second-seed Ferris State meets third-seed Parkside tomorrow at 4:30.
Tech volleyball has inked three new recruits to join the team next season.
• Madelyn Elsen is a defensive specialist, who was a four-year starter and holds the career digs record at Lake Zurich High School in Illinois.
• Cameron Herman is an outside hitter who was a two-time team captain at Hartland High School, and was the 2022 Livingston County Volleyball Player of the Year.
• Paige Wagner is a 6-3 all-state middle blocker from Lakeville, Minnesota.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team used a strong late surge to power past Southwest Minnesota State 78-65 last night. The Huskies outscored the Mustangs 18-3 in the fourth quarter. Alex Rondorf had a game-high 21 points. Tech will host Ashland Sunday at 1:00.
The Northern Michigan women’s basketball team welcomes Southwest Minnesota State this afternoon.
The Tech men’s team entertains Missouri-Saint Louis tomorrow at 1:00.
The NMU men’s team plays at Concordia-Saint Paul tomorrow afternoon.
The Michigan Tech hockey team welcomes Ferris State tonight at 7:07, and tomorrow at 6:07.
The Northern hockey team hosts Alaska tonight and tomorrow.
The Red Wings almost overcame an early deficit, but lost to the Senators 5-4 in Stockholm yesterday. Ottawa opened a 4-0 advantage. Detroit tied the game with goals by Lucas Raymond, David Perron, Alex DeBrincat and Shayne Gostisbehere. Tim Stützle’s goal with two seconds remaining in overtime won it for the Senators. James Reimer made 29 saves, and took the loss in net.
The Wings will face the Maple Leafs in Stockholm this afternoon. Coverage will begin at 1:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons continue the NBA In-Season Tournament tonight at Cleveland. Coverage will begin at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
In last night’s NFL game, the Ravens outscored the Bengals 34-20.
The Lions entertain the Bears in a 1:00 game Sunday on 99.3 The Lift.
The Packers welcome the Chargers in a 1:00 contest.
Former Tigers pitcher Tyler Alexander has signed a one-year contract with the Rays. Tampa Bay claimed Alexander off waivers last Friday. The team has avoided arbitration with him by agreeing to a $2 million deal.
Major League owners yesterday approved the move of the Athletics from Oakland to Las Vegas. The A’s lease at the Coliseum expires after the 2024 season. The earliest their new home on the Strip will be completed is 2027, and there’s no word as to where the team will play in the interim.
A deal has been reached to keep the Brewers in Milwaukee until at least 2050. A half-billion dollars in improvements will be made to their stadium. $168 million will come from the state, $135 million from the city, and $150 million from the team.
High School Sports Broadcasts
- Tonight – Hockey – Escanaba at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tomorrow – Hockey – Hartland at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tuesday – Hockey – Marquette at Houghton – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.