The Michigan Tech volleyball team dropped a hard-fought 3-2 (25-21, 21-25, 25-15, 19-25, 14-16) decision to Ferris State in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championship game yesterday. Anna Jonynas led Tech with 17 kills. Megan Utlak recorded 31 digs, and Laura De Marchi racked up 53 assists. Despite the loss, the Huskies are expected to be named to the NCAA tournament field. The seedings will be announced this evening.
The Northern Michigan University men’s basketball team ripped Concordia-Wisconsin 102-65 yesterday.
The Detroit Red Wings are off until Wednesday, when they host the Saint Louis Blues. Coverage will begin at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons faded down the stretch, and lost to the Los Angeles Lakers 121-116 yesterday. The Lakers outscored the Pistons by 20 points in the fourth quarter, even though LeBron James had been thrown out of the game for smacking Isaiah Stewart in the face, and drawing blood. Jerami Grant scored 36 for Detroit.
The Pistons host the Miami Heat tomorrow. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
With Manny Piña now a member of the Atlanta Braves, the Milwaukee Brewers have signed a one-year deal with former Baltimore Orioles catcher Pedro Severino.
• The Detroit Lions suffered an ugly 13-10 loss to the Cleveland Browns yesterday. Making his first NFL start, Detroit quarterback Tim Boyle completed 16 of 23 passes for just 77 yards, with two interceptions. D’Andre Swift rushed for 136 yards, and the team’s only touchdown.
• Greg Joseph’s 29-yard field goal as time expired lifted the Minnesota Vikings to a 34-31 victory over the Green Bay Packers yesterday. Aaron Rodgers’ fourth touchdown pass of the day, a 75-yard connection to Marquez Valdes-Scantling, had tied the game just two minutes earlier.
• The Pittsburgh Steelers scored 27 points in the fourth quarter, but lost to the Los Angeles Chargers 41-37 in last night’s game.
Tonight, the New York Giants visit the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tomorrow – high school hockey – Marquette at Houghton – coverage at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday and Saturday – high school hockey – Hancock at Calumet in the Copper Island Classic. Coverage of both games will begin at 6:40 on the voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.