Click on the blue links for more details.
Michigan Tech is searching for a new head women’s basketball coach. The university announced yesterday that coach Kim Cameron has resigned to pursue a position with an NCAA Division One program. Cameron departs as the most successful coach in Huskies’ women’s basketball history. Over eight seasons, her teams won more than three-quarters of their games. She led Tech to the NCAA Division II national championship game in 2011, and was twice named Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Coach of the Year. Before becoming head coach, she was an assistant for five seasons, after graduating from Tech in 2005. Cameron’s destination has not been revealed, pending the completion of the hiring process.
L’Anse will be among the schools participating at the Division II Dome Meet in Marquette today.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and will open a home series against the Baltimore Orioles tonight. Francisco Liriano will start against Andrew Cashner. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:15 on 99.3 The Lift. Game-time temperatures are expected to be in the mid-30s, but there’s no rain or snow in the forecast.
The Milwaukee Brewers lost 10-4 to the Cincinnati Reds last night. The Reds took an early lead with three runs off Brent Suter in the second inning. The piled on six more off reliever Oliver Drake in the sixth. All Milwaukee’s scoring came in the seventh, on a two-run double by Jorge Lopez, a wild pitch, and an RBI single by Jonathan Villar.
The Brewers will host the Reds again this evening. Junior Guerra will pitch against Sal Romano.
Catching prospect Jacob Nottingham made his major league debut for the Brewers last night. He’s been called up to fill in for Manny Piña, who’s been placed on the disabled list because of a right calf strain.
In NHL playoff action yesterday…
– Toronto defeated Boston 4-2. The Bruins lead that series 2-1.
– New Jersey downed Tampa Bay 5-2. The Lightning lead that set 2-1.
– Colorado outscored Nashville 5-3. The Predators lead that series 2-1.
– San Jose routed Anaheim 8-1. The Sharks lead that series 3-0.
– Washington skates at Columbus. The Blue Jackets lead that series 2-0.
– The Jets visit the Wild. Winnipeg leads that set 2-1.
– Las Vegas skates at Los Angeles. The Golden Knights are up 3-0 in that series.
In the NBA playoffs yesterday…
– Miami defeated Philadelphia 113-103. That series is tied 1-1.
– Golden State downed San Antonio 116-101. The Warriors lead that series 2-0.
– Washington plays at Toronto. The Raptors are up 1-0 in that series.
– Milwaukee plays at Boston. The Celtics lead that set 1-0.
– New Orleans visits Portland. The Pelicans lead that series 1-0.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.