Click on the blue links for more details.
The Finlandia University baseball team will face Northland College this afternoon in Superior, Wisconsin. The Lions and Eagles will start by completing the second game of Thursday’s doubleheader. Finlandia led 1-0 in the fifth inning when the explosion and fire at the nearby Husky Energy oil refinery forced the area to be evacuated. The two teams will then play their regularly-scheduled double-header.
After back-to-back shutouts, the Detroit Tigers’ bats woke up last night in a 9-5 victory over the Baltimore Orioles. Miguel Cabrera led the attack, with five RBI – three on a home run in the second inning. Victor Martinez also homered. Francisco Liriano gave up one run over the first six innings. He left with one out in the seventh, and runners at second and third. Warwick Saupold replaced him, but was wild, and allowed those runners to score on a hit batsman and a walk. Only four of his 14 pitches were strikes. Joe Jiménez relieved Saupold, and gave up two runs before ending the inning.
The Tigers wrap up that series at Baltimore this afternoon. Daniel Norris will pitch against Kevin Gausman. Pregame coverage will begin at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers managed only two hits yesterday, in a 3-0 loss to the Chicago Cubs. Junior Guerra suffered the tough loss, giving up a run over six innings.
The Brewers conclude that series in Chicago this afternoon. Zach Davies will pitch against Tyler Chatwood.
In the NHL playoffs yesterday…
– Boston defeated Tampa Bay 6-2 in the opening game of their second-round series.
– San Jose edged Las Vegas 4-3 in double overtime. That series is tied 1-1.
– Pittsburgh skates at Washington. The Penguins lead that series 1-0.
– Winnipeg plays at Nashville. The Jets lead that set 1-0.
In the NBA playoffs last night…
– Boston advanced to the second round with a 112-96 victory over Milwaukee. The Celtics won that series 4-3.
– Golden State opened the second round with a 123-101 victory over New Orleans.
– The last remaining opening-round series will be decided, as Indiana plays at Cleveland. That set is tied 3-3.
– Utah plays at Houston in the first game of their second-round series.
At the final day of the NFL amateur draft yesterday…
– The Detroit Lions went into the day with only two picks. They added an additional pick in the fourth round by trading away next year’s third-round pick, and used it to select Alabama defensive end Da’Shawn Hand. In the fifth round, they took Oregon guard Tyrell Crosby. In the seventh round, they selected San Diego State fullback
– The Green Bay Packers had lots of late-round picks. They took Missouri receiver J’mon Moore in the fourth round, Washington State offensive lineman Cole Madison, Alabama punter J.K. Scott and South Florida receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling in the fifth round, receiver Equanimeous St. Brown in the sixth round, and California defensive end James Looney, Mississippi State long snapper Hunter Bradley, and Southeast Missouri State outside linebacker Kendall Donnerson in the seventh.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.