The high school softball season opens today. Calumet and Lake Linden-Hubbell will be among the teams competing at the Spring Fling at the Superior Dome in Marquette.
The Detroit Tigers collected only three hits in a 4-0 loss to the Cleveland Indians yesterday. Starter Spencer Turnbull struggled, giving up three runs on eight hits over four innings.
The Tigers were supposed to open a series at Minnesota tonight, but the game has been postponed to because of snow. They’ll try again tomorrow. Pregame coverage will begin at 1:45 on 99.3 The Lift. Tonight’s game has been rescheduled to May 11th, as part of a day/night doubleheader.
Detroit has brought outfielder JaCoby Jones off the disabled list. To make room, Mikie Mahtook has been designated for assignment. If he clears waivers, he could be assigned to Toledo.
Nicholas Castellanos missed yesterday’s game because of a sprained toe. He’s considered day-to-day.
The Milwaukee Brewers had yesterday off, and begin a series against the Dodgers in Los Angeles tonight. Corbin Burnes will pitch against Julio Urías.
The three remaining NHL opening-round playoff series began last night…
– The Toronto Maple Leafs defeated the Boston Bruins 4-1.
– The Washington Capitals outscored the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2.
– The Calgary Flames blanked the Colorado Avalanche 4-0.
The playoffs continue tonight…
– The Columbus Blue Jackets visit the Tampa Bay Lightning. Columbus leads that series 1-0.
– The Pittsburgh Penguins are in New York to play the Islanders. New York is up 1-0 in that set.
– The Saint Louis Blues skate in Winnipeg against the Jets. Saint Louis won that series opener.
– The Vegas Golden Knights face the Sharks in San Jose. San Jose leads that set 1-0.
The Finlandia University baseball team was scheduled to play doubleheaders at Wisconsin-Stevens Point tomorrow and Sunday. That series has been backed off to Sunday and Monday because of snow.
The Finlandia softball team will play two games at Bay College Sunday afternoon.
Minnesota-Duluth and Massachusetts advanced to the Division One NCAA hockey tournament championship game with semifinal victories last night. Defending champion UMD eliminated Providence 4-1. UMass ousted Denver 4-3 in overtime to reach the title contest for the first time. The championship game will begin tomorrow night at 8:00 in Buffalo. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.