Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
MLB – Tigers
Shane Greene struggled again, and the Detroit Tigers lost to the Chicago Cubs 12-3 last night. Greene gave up five runs over three innings. The Tigers closed the gap when Yoenis Cespedes hit a three-run homer in the sixth, but Chicago scored six in the seventh inning to put the game away.
The Tigers have today off, and open a home set against the Cleveland Indians tomorrow night. David Price will start against Danny Salazar. Hear the first pitch at 7:08 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
The Milwaukee Brewers got just three hits, and fell to the Pittsburgh Pirates 2-0 last night. Kyle Lohse took the hard-luck loss.
Ryan Braun left last night’s game after experiencing dizziness. A doctor diagnosed fluid buildup near his left eardrum, and Braun says he should be able to play tonight.
The Brewers return home to host the Washington Nationals tonight. Matt Garza will start against Tanner Roark.
Copper Country Slow Pitch
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play last night…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Post 90/Lakes Lounge defeated Auto Value 27-12. Joel Michaelson had five hits. Jason Wilks, Kevin LaRoux and Joe Rivest homered for Post 90. Library/ThermoAnalytics beat Downtowner 2 22-16. Jim Larsen and Lucas Lahnala each hit two home runs for Library, and Henry Baron and John Foss each hit one.
– At Tapiola, Marley Bar scored two in the ninth inning, and edged Bucko’s/Labatts 13-12. Mark Auk hit two home runs for Marley, and Luke Paul and Mike Saari each hit one. Jack Benson homered for Bucko’s. Bucko’s bounced back to beat Matt’s Auto Glass 25-10. Brad Anderson hit two home runs, and Charlie Kempinen and Joel Vertin each hit one.
– At Hurontown, Erickson Crowley Peterson got past Monte Carlo/Coca Cola 22-17. Kyle Fish had five hits. The result of Erickson Crowley Peterson’s game against Goal Post was not reported.
– At the Hancock Driving Park, the results of McGann’s/Northern Auto’s games against B & B Bar/Daytona Body Shop and Nutini’s were not reported. They may be available here.
Copper Country Twilight League
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball play tonight…
– At the Dollar Bay field, Wolverine/Orbit faces Blue Sky Health.
– At the Stanton field, Pat’s Foods/Mosquito Inn takes on the Stanton Wildcats.
Free Fishing Weekend
This is Michigan’s free fishing weekend, and several family fishing events are planned.
– The Ontonagon Kids Fishing Derby begins at 9:00 tomorrow, with activities planned until 1:00 at the Ontonagon Marina. Along with the tournament, there’ll be a lot of games and displays for the kids to enjoy.
– The Portage Lake District Library and U.P. Kids are sponsoring a fishing event at the dock near the library from 6:00 until 8:00 tomorrow evening. Members of the MTU Fishing Club will help kids learn the sport.
– The Lake Linden-Hubbell Sportsmen’s Association Rice Lake Fishing Derby will be held at the clubhouse on Rice Lake Road on Sunday. This is a family event, with $1,500 in fishing prizes, and more than $5,000 in other prizes. Lunch and refreshments will be available. Registration will be open from 7:00 until 1:00, and fishing ends at 4:00.
You’ll find details about all three events on our KeweenawReport.com Community Calendar.