In high school volleyball tonight…
• Chassell plays at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
• Jeffers visits Baraga.
• Ewen-Trout Creek travels to Ontonagon.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team plays at Calvin College this evening.
Lions goalkeeper Aspen Wallin has been named the Coast to Coast Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Week. Wallin posted three saves in Finlandia’s scoreless tie against Northland Wednesday, then earned a shutout win over Mount Mary Saturday.
The Pittsburgh Pirates scored four runs in the seventh inning, and came from behind to defeat the Detroit Tigers 6-3 yesterday. Kyle Funkhauser took the loss. Robbie Grossman had two hits for Detroit, and Niko Goodrum drove in two runs.
The Tigers continue that series in Pittsburgh this evening. Coverage will begin at 6:15 on 99.3 The Lift. Wily Peralta will start for Detroit.
The COVID-19 bug has bitten the Tigers. Reliever Joe Jiménez and bench coach George Lombard have both tested positive. Both had been vaccinated, but reported symptoms Sunday night. Both will be quarantined for 10 days. Pitching coach Chris Fetter, quality control coach Josh Paul and bullpen catcher Jeremy Carroll are also being isolated because of contact tracing.
The Milwaukee Brewers lost 12-0 to the Philadelphia Phillies yesterday. Brandon Woodruff gave up four runs over six innings. Philly put the game away with seven runs off Brad Boxberger and Daniel Norris in the eighth inning.
The Brewers host the Phillies again tonight. Eric Lauer will pitch against Aaron Nola.
Milwaukee brought Kolton Wong back from the paternity list yesterday, and sent Tim Lopes back to Nashville.
High School Sports Broadcasts
• In volleyball Thursday, Calumet hosts Iron Mountain. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on KBear 102.3. Houghton plays at Westwood. Coverage will start around 6:10 on 97.7 The Wolf.
• In football Friday, Calumet plays at Westwood. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• In football Saturday, Houghton entertains Iron Mountain. Coverage will start at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf. Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts Norway. Coverage will begin at 1:10 on KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.