In high school softball this afternoon, weather permitting, Houghton plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell.
On the baseball schedule today…
– Lake Linden-Hubbell entertains Ontonagon.
– Jeffers visits the Gogebic Miners.
In track yesterday…
– The Houghton girls finished second at the Marquette Invitational. Anabel Needham of the Gremlins won the 1600-meter run. Lily Baker took the pole vault. The Houghton boys placed fourth out of five teams competing. See full results here.
– The Lake Linden Early Bird meet was canceled because of the weather.
In golf, weather permitting, local teams will compete this afternoon at the Houghton Invitational at the Portage Lake course.
Finlandia University softball player Cassy Lopez has been named the American Collegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Week. In four games, Lopez had had eight hits, including four doubles, and scored four runs.
The Detroit Tigers defeated the Philadelphia Phillies 3-1 last night. Spencer Turnbull got the win, allowing a run over six innings, despite giving up two walks, hitting two batters, and throwing three wild pitches. Niko Goodrum homered.
The Tigers wrap up that quick interleague set in Philadelphia tonight. Daniel Norris will start against Aaron Nola. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers held off the Colorado Rockies 4-3 last night. Jhoulys Chacín pitched six shutout innings to earn the win. Jesús Aguilar homered. Colorado scored three runs in the top of the ninth to make the game close, before Josh Hader struck out Mark Reynolds to end the contest.
The Brewers host the Rockies again tonight. Chase Anderson will pitch against Antonio Senzatela.
In the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs last night…
– The Columbus Blue Jackets got past the Boston Bruins 2-1. Columbus leads that series 2-1.
– The San Jose Sharks defeated the Colorado Avalanche 4-2. San Jose leads that set 2-1.
– The New York Islanders visit the Carolina Hurricanes. Carolina leads that series 2-0.
– The Dallas Stars host the Saint Louis Blues. Saint Louis is up 2-1 in that set.
In NBA playoff action last night…
– The Milwaukee Bucks defeated the Boston Celtics 123-102. That series is tied 1-1.
– The Golden State Warriors downed the Houston Rockets 115-109. Golden State is up 2-0 in that set.
– The Portland Trail Blazers visit the Denver Nuggets. Denver lead that series 1-0.
Join Rick Allen at a special live edition of “This Week In Finlandia Athletics,” today at 5:00 at the Kaleva Cafe. Meet Lions athletes and coaches, play games, win prizes, order up some dinner, and help the Finlandia softball team get ready for the ACAA tournament this weekend. We’ll broadcast all of those tournament games on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.