The Detroit Tigers lost to the Minnesota Twins 4-3 yesterday. The Tigers staked starter Tyson Ross to an early lead by scoring twice in the top of the third inning. The Twins then scored four runs off Ross in the bottom of the third, and held on for the win. Christin Stewart homered for Detroit in the sixth inning.
The Tigers will face the Twins this afternoon. Jordan Zimmermann will start against José Berríos. Pregame coverage will begin at 1:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Niko Goodrum missed yesterday’s game because of illness. Nicholas Castellanos remains sidelined because of a sprained toe. Both are considered day-to-day. Shortstop Jordy Mercer left the game after suffering a quadriceps strain while running out a double. He’s headed to the 10-day injury list. The Tigers will call up someone from Toledo to fill in today.
Zach Davies allowed just one run over seven innings, as the Milwaukee Brewers defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-1 yesterday. Orlando Arcia and Mike Moustakas homered for The Crew.
The Brewers wrap up that series against the Dodgers in Los Angeles this afternoon. Jhoulys Chacín will pitch against Ross Stripling.
In the opening round of the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs yesterday…
– The Washington Capitals took a 2-0 lead in their series by edging the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 in overtime.
– The Nashville Predators shaded the Dallas Stars 2-1, to tie their series at a win per team.
– The Boston Bruins defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-1 to even that series at a game per team.
– The Colorado Avalanche slipped past the Calgary Flames 3-2 in overtime. That set is tied at one win per team.
On today’s schedule…
– The New York Islanders visit the Pittsburgh Penguins. New York holds a 2-0 edge in that series.
– The Columbus Blue Jackets host the Tampa Bay Lightning. Columbus is up 2-0 in that set.
– The Winnipeg Jets visit the Saint Louis Blues. Saint Louis leads that series 2-0.
– The Vegas Golden Knights entertain the San Jose Sharks. That series is tied at a win per team.
The NBA playoffs began last night…
– The Brooklyn Nets defeated the Philadelphia 76ers 111-102.
– The Orlando Magic edged the Toronto Raptors 104-101.
– The Golden State Warriors buried the Los Angeles Clippers 121-104.
– The San Antonio Spurs got past the Denver Nuggets 101-96.
The other set of first-round series begins today…
– The Detroit Pistons face the Bucks in Milwaukee. Blake Griffin’s participation could be a game-time decision, as he struggles with a sore knee. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
– The Indiana Pacers visit the Boston Celtics.
– The Portland Trail Blazers host the Oklahoma City Thunder.
– The Utah Jazz play the Rockets in Houston.
The Finlandia University baseball team will play doubleheaders at Wisconsin-Stevens Point today and tomorrow. That series has moved to the Woodside Sports Complex in Mauston because of snow.
The Finlandia softball team’s doubleheader at Bay College this afternoon has been postponed.
Minnesota-Duluth won its second straight NCAA Division One men’s hockey championship last night, with a 3-0 victory over the University of Massachusetts.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.