Click on the highlighted scores for additional game information.
Fast Pitch Softball
The final week of the Copper Country Fast Pitch Softball League opens tonight…
• At the Bone Yard in Lake Linden, Superior Service faces Crush at 7:00.
• At the Chassell Field, Superior National Bank meets Tervo Agency at 5:30. Northern Michigan Land Brokers plays JB’s at 7:15.
Slow Pitch Softball
The Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League also begins its final week tonight…
• At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s plays Downtowner Two at 6:15, and Amy J’s takes on Sayen’s Auto/Coca Cola at 7:30.
• At the Hancock Driving Park, A and S Industrial/Loukus Tech meets McGann’s/Northern Auto at 6:15, then plays Koppers at 7:30.
The Tigers managed only three hits in a 9-1 loss to the Twins yesterday. Rony García gave up three runs in the first inning, and left in the third with arm soreness. A half-dozen relievers followed, with Michael Fulmer allowing three runs in the seventh, and Alex Lange giving up two more in the eighth. Infielder Kody Clemens pitched the ninth, and gave up the final run.
The Tigers host the Padres tonight. Drew Hutchison will start against Sean Manaea. Coverage begins at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Javier Báez left yesterday’s game after he was hit on the elbow by a pitch. He’s considered day-to-day.
Detroit has returned starter Michael Pineda to the injured list. Pineda left Saturday’s game with tightness in a triceps muscle. Tyler Alexander is expected to come out of the bullpen to cover Pineda’s next scheduled start on Thursday. Angel De Jesus was called back from Toledo to fill the roster spot.
As for García, manager A.J. Hinch said after the game that the soreness he experienced was not related to the injury that had sidelined him for the past several weeks. He’ll be examined today, but Hinch speculated that he’ll not be able to throw for a while.
Starter Eduardo Rodriguez may be on his way back. The free agent the Tigers signed to anchor their rotation was placed on the restricted list after leaving the team for personal reasons. Team officials say they have talked to Rodriguez, who has been throwing during his absence. After some bullpen sessions, he’ll begin a rehab stint with Detroit’s Lakeland, Florida farm team. If all goes well, he could rejoin the Tigers’ rotation in late August.
The Brewers outslugged the Rockies 10-9 yesterday. Milwaukee built an early advantage, but the Rockies used a middle-innings surge to take the lead. The Crew reclaimed the lead with three runs in the bottom of the eighth. Josh Hader gave up a run in the top of the ninth, but was able to close out the game.
The Brewers host the Rockies again this evening. Aaron Ashby will start against Kyle Freeland.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play this evening…
• Dreamland One hosts Calumet Electronics at the Dreamland Bar.
• Drift Inn welcomes Dreamland Two at the Drift Inn.
• Harter’s Party Store plays 41 Lumber at Rocky’s Bar.
• Calumet One faces Ahmeek Fire Department at Agassiz Park.
• L and L meet’s Bucko’s Party Store at Buckie’s.
• Loading Zone plays Rocky’s Bar at Lake Linden Park.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.