In high school volleyball tonight…
• Houghton plays at Negaunee. Coverage will start around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts Wakefield-Marenisco.
• Baraga plays at L’Anse.
• Jeffers visits Chassell.
In cross country, local teams will compete at the Hancock invitational this afternoon.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
Calumet High School’s football game against West Iron County scheduled for tomorrow has been canceled. Copper Kings Athletic Director Sean Jacques said the Wykons don’t have enough healthy players to field a team. West Iron also had to cancel last week’s game against Manistique. The situation is not COVID-19 related. Efforts to find a substitute opponent were unsuccessful, Jacques said.
Tonight’s junior varsity game between Calumet and West Iron County will be played as scheduled in Iron River. The induction ceremony for this year’s Calumet Hall of Fame class scheduled for the school commons Saturday at 11:00 will proceed as scheduled. The public is invited.
Six new members will be inducted into the Calumet Hall of Fame Saturday. They include…
• Mark Bonenfant, class of 1978, who earned eight letters in football, basketball, and track, and received the George Gipp All American Award;
• Robert Erkkila, class of 1962, who played football, and went on to become a teacher, community sports leader and broadcaster;
• Myles “Tony” Gregorich, class of 1983, who earned 11 letters in cross country, hockey, and track, with All State honors in track and cross country;
• Jordan Kronshage, class of 2009, who earned seven letters and All State honors in volleyball and track, and was also an accomplished figure skater;
• John Maki, class of 2003, who earned eight letters in football, hockey, track, and golf, with All State honors in hockey. He later became a standout baseball player at St, Norbert College; and
• Myra Peterson Nordstrom, class of 1996, who earned 10 letters in cross country, volleyball, and track, with All State honors in cross country.
See their full biographies here.
The Detroit Tigers completed a two-game sweep of the Milwaukee Brewers with a 4-1 victory yesterday. Matt Manning gave up a run on two hits over six innings. Dustin Garneau homered.
The Tigers visit the Tampa Bay Rays tonight. Tyler Alexander will start against Louis Head. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers have today off, and entertain the Chicago Cubs tomorrow night.
The Cardinals won yesterday, so Milwaukee’s magic number for clinching the National League Central Division title remains at five.
In tonight’s NFL game, the New York Giants play at Washington. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Please have your picks in The Wolf Pro Football Challenge turned in by noon today at one of our sponsors.
High School Broadcasts
• The Houghton volleyball team plays at Negaunee tonight. Coverage will start around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Houghton football team visits Bark River-Harris Saturday. Coverage will start at 1:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell football team plays at North Central Saturday. Coverage will begin at 1:40 on KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.