On the high school baseball schedule today, Ontonagon plays at L’Anse.
On the softball schedule…
– Houghton plays at Hancock.
– Baraga plays at L’Anse.
In track, at the Division One Superior Dome meet yesterday, the Houghton girls finished second, behind Marquette. The Calumet girls placed sixth. Houghton’s Anabel Needham won the 1600-meter run. The Calumet boys placed fifth, with Houghton sixth. Joe Wood of the Gremlins won the 3200-meter run. See full results here.
Hancock and L’Anse will compete at the Superior Dome Division Two Invitational today.
There’s still time to purchase tickets to the annual Houghton Boosters Gremlin Night Booster Bash. The Bash will be held Saturday at the Bonfire Steakhouse. A social period begins at 6:00, with a dinner buffet at 7:00, and dancing to live music from Marshall Law. Tickets are $60.00 per person, and can be purchased from any sports booster member, in the athletic office at the high school, or by emailing HoughtonSportsBoosters2019@gmail.com.
The Detroit Tigers swept both of their games against the Boston Red Sox yesterday, winning the opener 7-4, and the nightcap 4-2. In the afternoon game, Matthew Boyd gave up three runs over seven innings to earn the win. Ronny Rodriguez and Grayson Greiner homered. In the evening contest, Brandon Dixon’s three-run double in the fourth inning was the big blow. Spencer Turnbull got the win, pitching five shutout innings.
The Tigers play in Boston again tonight. Tyson Ross will start against Eduardo Rodriguez. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers lost their third straight game last night, 4-3 to the Saint Louis Cardinals. The Cards broke open a tie game with two runs off Alex Wilson in the eighth inning. Milwaukee got one back in the top of the ninth on Travis Shaw’s second home run of the game, but couldn’t complete the comeback. Orlando Arcia also homered for Milwaukee.
The Brewers wrap up that series in Saint Louis this afternoon. Jhoulys Chacín will pitch against Adam Wainwright.
In the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs last night…
– The Boston Bruins advanced with a 5-1 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs. Boston took that series 4-3.
– The San Jose Sharks moved to the next round with a 5-4 overtime victory over the Vegas Golden Knights. San Jose won that series 4-3.
On tonight’s schedule, the Carolina Hurricanes visit the Washington Capitols. That series is tied 3-3.
In NBA first-round playoff action last night…
– The Portland Trail Blazers advanced with a 118-115 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder. Portland took that series 4-1.
– The Philadelphia 76ers buried the New Jersey Nets 122-100. Philly won that series 4-1.
– The Denver Nuggets defeated the San Antonio Spurs 108-90. Denver leads that series 3-2.
On the schedule tonight…
– The Utah Jazz visit the Houston Rockets. Houston leads that set 3-1.
– The Los Angeles Clippers visit the Golden State Warriors. Golden State is up 3-1 in that series.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team has added a new recruit. Bryson Beck comes from Loveland, Colorado, where he played at Mountain View High School.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.