Tigers Bomb Diamondbacks
The Tigers scored five runs in the fourth inning… and pulled away from the Diamondbacks 11-5 yesterday afternoon. Austin Jackson’s bases-loaded double was the big blow in that fourth inning. Arizona came back… scoring three runs off Anibal Sanchez in the fifth… and single runs in the sixth and seventh. Joba Chamberlain ended the threat in the seventh by getting Paul Goldschmidt to ground into a double play. The Tigers added four insurance runs in the top of the eighth… three on a home run by Miguel Cabrera.
The Tigers open a four-game set against the Angels in Los Angeles tonight. Max Scherzer will start against Garrett Richards. Hear the first pitch at 10:05 on AM 1400, WCCY.
Cleveland lost… so Detroit’s lead over the Indians in the American League Central Division stands at six-and-a-half games.
The Tigers bolstered their bullpen yesterday by trading for Rangers’ closer Joakim Soria. Team officials say he won’t replace Joe Nathan as Detroit’s closer… but will be used in a set-up role. To get Soria, Detroit gave up two top prospects… reliever Corey Knebel, and starter Jake Thompson… who was their top draft pick in 2012.
Brewers Sweep Reds
The Brewers completed a sweep of the Reds with a 5-1 victory yesterday. Mark Reynolds hit two home runs for Milwaukee. Kyle Lohse pitched into the seventh… giving up a run on just four hits.
The Brewers host the Mets for a four-game series beginning tonight. Matt Garza will start against Dillon Gee.
Saint Louis lost… so Milwaukee leads the National League Central Division by two-and-a-half games.
Copper Country Slow Pitch
In the final night of action in the Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Post 90/Lakes Lounge scored seven runs in the bottom of the ninth inning, and beat Bucko’s/Labatts 18-17. Joel Michaelson and Dennis Dobes each had four hits for Post 90. Charlie Kempinen had four hits and scored three runs for Bucko’s. Bucko’s bounced back to beat Osmose 25-10. Brad Anderson hit two home runs in that game… and Matt King, Jordan Johnson and Aron Butkovich each hit one.
– At Hurontown, Auto Value outscored 906/Pilgrim River Steakhouse 22-7. James Loukus had four hits, including a home run. Matt Kilpela and Alex Loukus also had four hits for Auto Value. The result of the game between Coca Cola/Miller’s Recreation and The Marley Bar was not reported.
– At the Hancock Driving Park, Erickson Crowley Peterson scored 12 runs in the third inning, and held off The Goal Post 24-19. Jason Van Straten had five hits, including a homer, for Erickson. Buddy Londo and Victor Harrington also homered.
Copper Country Fast Pitch
In the Copper Country Women’s Fast Pitch League tournament last night…
– Pats Foods defeated Mattila Rock and Dock 11-1.
– North Star BP shut down Northern Michigan Land Brokers 7-1.
In Twilight League baseball tonight…
– At the Dollar Bay field, Wolverine-Orbit visits Blue Sky Health.
– At the Toivola Field, Mosquito Inn hosts Pat’s Foods.
To make sure your team’s scores are included in morning sports, send them to email@example.com.