Spencer Turnbull gave up six runs over five innings, as the Detroit Tigers lost to the Minnesota Twins 8-3 yesterday. Five of those runs came in the second inning. Jordy Mercer homered for Detroit.
The Tigers host the Twins again this afternoon. Jordan Zimmermann will start against Jake Odorizzi. Pregame coverage will begin at 12:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers turned in their second straight shutout against the Chicago Cubs with a 4-0 victory yesterday. Seven Milwaukee pitchers combined to give up just four hits. Milwaukee took a 1-0 lead on a ground-out by Orlando Arcia in the top of the fourth. Christian Yelich’s three-run shot with two out in the top of the ninth provided some late insurance.
The Brewers host the Houston Astros in an interleague set beginning this afternoon. Adrian Houser will start against Gerrit Cole.
At the Copper Harbor Trails Festival…
– Adam Swank of Duluth win the 30-mile XC event on Saturday, more than a minute ahead of Chris Lowry from LaCrosse, Wisconsin. Sam Kilpela of Atlantic Mine was third. Hanna Derby from Marquette was the top women’s finisher.
– Colin Vanderschaaf from Marquette won Saturday’s 14-mile XC race. Louis Hindman of Marquette was second. Erin Vanderschaaf of Marquette was the top women’s finisher.
– In the Expert-level Enduro, Casey Krueger of Copper Harbor claimed a six-second victory over Tyler Vore of Indianapolis. Morgan Barkley of Bentonville, Arkansas, easily won the women’s division.
– Kevin Last of Oregon, Wisconsin, win the Sport Enduro. Anett Trebitz of Duluth was the fastest woman.
– Mike Hartrick of Auburn Hills, Michigan, won the Beginner Enduro, with Madesen van Order of Rhinelander taking women’s honors.
– Joel Coon of de Pere, Wisconsin, won the 10K trail Run, 22 seconds ahead of Hancock’s Justin Hoffmeyer. Alexandra Bott of Marquette won the women’s title.
– See full results here.
The Detroit Lions have claimed running back J.D. McKissic off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks. Tight end Logam Thomas was released to make room on the roster. McKissic was limited to just nine plays last year, because of a foot injury.
Our high school football coverage continues Friday, when Houghton entertains L’Anse. The pregame show begins at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.