The Cleveland Indians scored four runs in the eighth inning, and pulled away to a 7-2 victory over Detroit Tigers last night. Spencer Turnbull turned in a quality start, giving up three runs while pitching into the seventh, but took the loss. Joe Jiménez was charged with all four of the eighth-inning runs. Nicholas Castellanos homered for Detroit.
The Tigers have lost five of six since the All Star break, and wrap up that series in Cleveland tonight. Matthew Boyd will pitch against Trevor Bauer. Pregame coverage will start at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit has called Zac Reininger back from Toledo to fill the space created by the demotion of Ryan Carpenter. There’s still no word as to who will take Carpenter’s spot in the rotation.
The Milwaukee Brewers built a five run lead, then held off the Atlanta Braves 5-4 yesterday. Chase Anderson pitched shutout ball into the sixth inning, and earned the win. Junior Guerra gave up two runs in the eighth, and Josh Hader gave up two more in the ninth before finally closing the game out. Christian Yelich and Manny Piña homered.
The Brewers visit the Arizona Diamondbacks tonight. Zach Davies will start against Merrill Kelly.
Fast Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Fast Pitch Softball League play last night…
– Northern Michigan Land Brokers v Coca-Cola of Hancock – no report.
– Superior National Bank v Crush/Diamond House/ Baby E’s – no report.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League action last evening…
– Lake Superior Design defeated Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics 25-10.
– Lake Superior Design v Luigi’s – no report.
– Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s v Downtowner Two – no report.
– Koppers v Bucko’s/Labatt’s – no report
– Harter’s Carquest downed Koppers 25-19. Jake Loukus and Joel Michaelson homered for Harter’s, and Stewart Krumm had five hits.
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball this evening…
– Superior National Bank-Stanton faces REL-Mohawk Technology at the Hancock Driving Park.
– Dean Kangas-State Farm meets Garnet Garage at the Stanton Field.
The Detroit Red Wings have re-signed defenseman Joe Hicketts to a two-year contract. Hicketts was a restricted free agent who split time between the Wings and the Grand Rapids Griffins last season.
The Detroit Pistons have claimed power forward Christian Wood off waivers. Wood is a three-year veteran who split time last season between the Milwaukee Bucks, the Bucks’ G-League team, and the New Orleans Pelicans. With the G-League Wisconsin Herd, he averaged 29 points and 14 rebounds per game.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.