The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and host the Tampa Bay Rays tonight. Ryan Carpenter will start against Blake Snell. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers were also off yesterday, and host the Miami Marlins tonight. Chase Anderson will pitch against Pablo Lopez.
On the opening night of the Major League Baseball Draft...
– The Detroit Tigers used the fifth pick to select high school outfielder Riley Greene. Many considered Greene the top hitting prospect available. With the 47th pick, they took University of Arizona third baseman Nick Quintana.
– The Milwaukee Brewers picked Mississippi State left-hander Ethan Small with the 26th selection. He was the Southeastern Conference’s 2019 Pitcher of the Year. With the 65th pick, they claimed pitcher Antoine Kelly, from Wabash Valley College in Illinois.
The Draft will resume this afternoon, with rounds three through 10.
The Copper Country Twilight Baseball League begins play tonight. There are four teams in the league this season.
– REL-Mohawk Technologies faces Dean Kangas-State Farm at the Hancock Driving Park.
– The Fighting Joes meet Superior National Bank-Stanton at the Stanton Field.
The Saint Louis Blues defeated the Boston Bruins 4-2 last night. The Stanley Cup championship series is tied at two wins per team, and will continue Thursday evening in Boston.
The NBA Championship Series continues tomorrow night, when the Toronto Raptors visit the Golden State Warriors. That set is tied at one win per team.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play last night…
– Calumet One edged Dreamland One 5-4.
– Ahmeek Fire Department got past Bucko’s Party Store 5-4.
– Dreamland Two shaded Drift Inn 5-4.
– L and L edged Rocky’s Bar 5-4.
– Harter’s Party Store blanked Calumet Electronics 9-0.
– Loading Zone Two defeated 41 Lumber 8-1.
There are two benefit golf outings coming up Saturday…
– The Calumet High School hockey team golf fundraiser will be held at the Calumet Golf Club. The cost is $150.00 for a three-person team, which includes 18 holes of golf and dinner. To sign up, call the Athletic Director’s Office at 337-0311 x2204, or email email@example.com.
– The Joe Evans Classic golf scramble will be held at the Portage Lake Course. The cost is $225.00 per three-person team. Proceeds benefit Omega House, which provides end of life care to Keweenaw residents. To sign up, call Omega House at 462-4438, or click here.
Our high school softball tournament coverage continues Saturday from the Division Four regionals at Norway. L’Anse will face Bark River-Harris at 11:00 Eastern Time. Hancock will play Rudyard at 1:00. We’ll broadcast both games, and the regional title match if either local team advances, on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.