Twilight League Baseball
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball last night…
• Craig Heinonen Coldwell Banker defeated Garnet Garage 13-8.
• REL-Mohawk Technology edged Northern Driveline 8-7.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play this evening…
• At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Pat’s Foods/Buckos faces Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics at 6:30, and then plays Downtowner Two at 7:30.
• At the Hancock Driving Park, McGann’s/Northern Auto meets Sayen’s Auto/Coca Cola at 6:30, and A&S Industrial/Loukus Tech at 7:30.
Fast Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Women’s Fast Pitch Softball League action tonight…
• At the Bone Yard in Lake Linden, Crush plays JB’s at 5:45, and Superior Service takes on the Tervo Agency at 7:15.
The Finlandia University volleyball team has added a new player. Emma De Kiewiet comes from Castleford, Idaho.
In NBA tournament second-round play last night…
• The Nets outscored the Bucks 114-108. Brooklyn leads that series 3-2.
• The 76ers entertain the Hawks. That series is tied 2-2.
• The Jazz host the Clippers. That set is tied 2-2.
In the Stanley Cup semifinals last night…
• The Lightning downed the Islanders 4-2. That series is tied 1-1.
• The Golden Knights welcome the Canadiens. Vegas leads that set 1-0.
Casey Mize turned in a strong start, as the Detroit Tigers got past the Kansas City Royals 4-3 last night. After Detroit used nine pitchers in Monday’s contest, Mize pitched into the seventh, giving up three runs on seven hits. Wily Peralta and Gregory Soto finished the game, with Soto earning the save. Jonathan Schoop hit his 11th home run of the season.
The Tigers conclude that series against the Royals in Kansas City this afternoon. Tarik Skubal will pitch against Brady Singer. Coverage will begin at 1:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
That nine-pitcher game Monday prompted a bevy of roster moves yesterday. Peralta and reliever Miguel Del Pozo were called up from Toledo. Pitcher Jason Foley was sent down, and Beau Burrows was designated for assignment. If no other team claims him on waivers, he could be re-assigned to Toledo. Pitchers Matthew Boyd and Alex Lange have been placed on the injured list – Boyd with arm discomfort, and Lange with a shoulder strain. Pitcher Rony Garcia was transferred to the 60-day injured list with a knee sprain – he could be out for the season. Jeimer Candelario was activated, after clearing COVID-19 protocol following time on the bereavement list. Catcher Wilson Ramos was designated for assignment. His removal opens a space for prospect Matt Manning, who has struggled this season in Toledo, but will be called up to start tomorrow’s game.
The Milwaukee Brewers fell 2-1 in 10 innings to the Cincinnati Reds last evening. The game was scoreless through nine frames. Milwaukee starter Brett Anderson and Cincy’s Luis Castillo matched pitch for pitch through seven, with Anderson allowing just one hit, and striking out nine. Brad Boxberger struggled with control in the top of the 10th, loading the bases with a hit batter and a walk. Another hit batter forced in one run, and a sacrifice fly scored another. The Crew got one back in the bottom of the 10th on an RBI single by Daniel Robertson, but Tim Lopes struck out with two runners on base to end the game.
The Brewers host the Reds again today. Freddy Peralta will start against Tyler Mahle.
Saturday’s Keweenaw Chain Drive Festival will be a self-supported poker run with 10 mile, 20 mile and 60 mile adventure courses which will send riders from the Maasto Hiihto trails up to Swedetown and back. Participants will choose a start time, but will not be timed for the event. There will be some prizes, but the focus is on getting out to ride and supporting the trails. The registration deadline is tomorrow. There is no charge, although donations to support the trail system are appreciated. Sign up here. Get more information here.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.