In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet blanked Iron Mountain 3-0.
• Hancock downed Jeffers 3-1 (25-19, 22-25, 25-23, 25-21).
• Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Bessemer 3-1 (26-28, 25-13, 17-25, 19-25).
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City lost to Wakefield-Marenisco 3-1.
• L’Anse got past Ewen-Trout Creek 3-2 (25-15, 25-27, 17-25, 25-16, 17-15).
• Ontonagon v Watersmeet – no report.
• Houghton entertains Westwood.
• Chassell, Ontonagon and Baraga will compete at the Baraga Invitational.
The first game looked like a continuation of Wednesday’s historic loss. Tarik Skubal gave up two runs in the second inning, and left as the Cards scored seven times in the third. Detroit’s scoring came on a two-run Jeimer Caldelario homer.
The Bengals regrouped for the second contest. Jordan Zimmermann returned from the injured list, and gave up just one unearned run over three innings. Candelario hit his second home run of the day in the sixth inning. In a five-run seventh inning, he singled home the winning run, after the Cardinals walked Miguel Cabrera intentionally. Jorge Bonifacio added a late home run.
The Tigers begin a weekend series against the White Sox in Chicago tonight. Casey Mize will start against Lucas Giolito. Coverage will begin at 7:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers had yesterday off, and begin a home set against the Chicago Cubs tonight. Brandon Woodruff will pitch against Jon Lester.
The Stars edged the Golden Knights 3-2 in overtime last night. Dallas leads the Western Conference final 2-1, with game four tomorrow.
The Lightning and Islanders play tonight. Tampa Bay leads the Eastern Conference final 2-0.
The Lakers stopped the Rockets 110-100 last night. L-A leads that Western Conference semifinal 3-1, with game five tomorrow.
• The Clippers play the Nuggets. L-A leads that Western Conference semifinal 3-1.
• The Celtics take on the Raptors in game seven of their Eastern Conference semifinal.
In last night’s NFL game, Patrick Mahomes tossed three touchdown passes, as the Chiefs defeated the Texans 34-20.
The Detroit Lions begin their season at home with a 1:00 game Sunday against the Chicago Bears. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers open their season against the Vikings in Minnesota.
Our high school football coverage begins a week from tonight, when Hancock entertains Gwinn… and a week from tomorrow, when Lake Linden Hubbell hosts Carney-Nadeau in the Lakes’ first-ever eight-player contest. Hear both games on KBear 102, and see our full broadcast schedule at KBear102.com.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.