In high school volleyball last night…
• Houghton defeated Kingsford 3-0 (25-13, 25-14, 25-18).
• Ontonagon swept L’Anse 3-0 (25-19, 27-25, 25-23).
• Jeffers blanked Bessemer 3-0 (25-9, 25-21, 25-18). Sara Johnson had nine aces and Allie Pietila led the team with five blocks and six kills.
• Chassell got past Watersmeet 3-1 (25-15, 19-25, 25-11, 25-17).
The volleyball playoffs begin Monday. Houghton will entertain Escanaba, with coverage beginning at 5:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf. Calumet will host West Iron County, with coverage starting at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3. See the full playoff schedule at KBear102.com.
The high school football playoffs open this weekend…
• Calumet plays at Menominee in a Division Six district semifinal tonight. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3,
• Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts Forest Park in an Eight Player Division Two regional semifinal tomorrow. Coverage starts at 1:10 on KBear 102.3.
In other games involving Upper Peninsula teams…
• In Division Three, Marquette plays at Mount Pleasant tonight.
• In Division Five, Kingsford visits Kingsley tonight.
• In Division Six, Negaunee hosts Gladstone tonight.
• In Division Seven, Westwood entertains East Jordan tomorrow.
• In Division Eight, Bark River-Harris plays at Beal City tomorrow. Iron Mountain hosts Frankfort tomorrow.
• In Eight Player Division One, Munising welcomes Rudyard, and Newberry plays at Pickford. Both games are tonight.
• In Eight Player Division Two, North Central hosts Pellston tomorrow.
The Michigan Tech football team visits 7th-ranked Grand Valley State tomorrow.
The NMU football team plays at top-ranked Ferris State.
The Finlandia University football team plays at Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri.
The 18th-ranked Tech hockey team skates at Clarkson tonight and tomorrow night.
The Northern hockey team visits Minnesota State tonight and tomorrow night.
Both Finlandia University hockey teams begin their seasons this weekend at home. The Lions women’s team will face Saint Catherine tonight at 5:00 and tomorrow at 1:00. The men’s team will play Wisconsin-River Falls tonight at 8:00 and tomorrow at 4:00.
The Finlandia University women’s soccer plays at Mount Mary University this afternoon. The Lions conclude their season tomorrow at Mills College.
The MTU soccer team hosts Saginaw Valley State Sunday at noon.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team plays at Northern Michigan tomorrow at 4:00.
Both Northern Michigan University basketball teams earned exhibition wins over Bay College last night – the men 82-65, and the women 103-29.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Florida Panthers tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons lost to the Philadelphia 76ers 110-102 last night. Saddiq Bey led Detroit with 19 points.
The Pistons have yet to win this season, and host the Orlando Magic tomorrow night.
The World Series resumes tonight, as the Atlanta Braves host the Houston Astros. The Fall Classic is tied at one win per team.
In last night’s NFL contest, the Green Bay Packers held off the Arizona Cardinals 24-21. Aaron Rodgers threw two touchdown passes to Randall Cobb. A late Cardinals drive that could have won the game ended when Rasul Douglas intercepted a Kyler Murray pass in the end zone with 15 seconds remaining.
On Sunday, the Detroit Lions host the Philadelphia Eagles in a 1:00 game. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tonight – Calumet at Menominee football – pregame at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tomorrow – Forest Park at Lake Linden-Hubbell football – pregame at 1:10 on KBear 102.3.
• Monday – Escanaba at Houghton district tournament volleyball – pregame at 5:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Monday – West Iron County at Calumet district tournament volleyball – pregame at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.