Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In volleyball last evening…
• Houghton blanked Marquette 3-0 (25-21 25-14 25-18). Danica Ryynanen had eight kills. Meghan Trewhella had eight kills and 14 digs, and Jiani Tang had four aces and eight digs.
• Hancock defeated West Iron County 3-0.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City downed Lake Linden-Hubbell 3-1 (18-25, 25-16, 25-22, 25-21). For the Lakes, Olivia Shank had six kills, and Kara Kinnunen had seven aces, 10 assists and nine digs.
• Jeffers got past Baraga 3-2 (20-25, 22-25, 25-23, 25-22, 15-12). Sara Johnson led the Jets with seven kills.
• Ewen-Trout Creek blanked Chassell 3-0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-14).
• Ironwood swept L’Anse 3-0 (25-19, 25-15, 25-10).
• Ontonagon v Wakefield-Marenisco – no report.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team lost 3-0 (25-18, 27-25, 25-14) at Northern Michigan last night. Jillian Kuizenga led the Huskies with 12 kills. Lina Espejo-Ramirez recorded 22 assists and nine digs.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team has added a new player. Luke Kangas is a forward from Richmond, Virginia.
Finlandia men’s hockey will hold a used equipment sale and youth skills clinic Saturday at the Houghton County Arena. The equipment sale will run from noon until 4 in the lobby. The clinic will start at 4:45 on the ice, and is open to all boys and girls at no charge.
The Tigers edged the Orioles 3-2 last night. Detroit took an early lead when Akil Badoo hit a two-run homer in the top of the third. Kerry Carpenter’s solo shot in the top of the seventh was the eventual game-winner, as Baltimore scored two off Joe Jiménez in the bottom of the seventh. Starter Joey Wentz got the win, tossing shutout ball into the sixth.
The Tigers host the Orioles again tonight. Matt Manning will start against Jordan Lyles. Coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers lost to the Mets 7-5 last evening. Francisco Lindor’s grand slam off Taylor Rogers was the big blow.
The Brewers host the Mets again this afternoon. Alan Ashby will pitch against Carlos Carrasco.
This year’s USA Hockey officiating seminar will be held Saturday at Hancock High School. Everyone planning to officiate USA Hockey is required to attend a seminar. The sit-down session will begin at 9 a.m., and the skating portion will be held at the Houghton County Arena at 3 p.m. This is the seminar that is usually held in Calumet – it has been moved this year because of a scheduling conflict. If you have any questions contact Pete Berg at 906-369-4570.
Officiating seminars will also be held in Marquette October 15, and Iron Mountain October 29.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
• Tomorrow – Houghton volleyball entertains Hancock in the Copper Spike match. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday – Houghton football plays at Hancock in the Copper Bowl contest. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday – Calumet football hosts Gwinn. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.