In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet swept Negaunee 3-0.
• Houghton downed Iron Mountain 3-2 (25-14, 21-25, 25-17, 19-25, 15-13).
• Hancock swept Westwood 3-0.
• At a triangular at Lake Linden-Hubbell, the Lakes defeated Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-0 (25-16, 25-15, 25-16) and downed Watersmeet 3-0 (25-10, 25-13, 25-7). The Blue Bolts defeated the Nimrods 3-1.
• Jeffers got past L’Anse 3-1 (22-25, 25-10, 25-14, 25-22).
• Ewen-Trout Creek shut out Ontonagon 3-0.
• Chassell lost to Bessemer 3-0 (25-7, 25-18, 27-25).
Menominee has taken over first place in the latest U.P. Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association football poll. After defeating former number-one Marquette, the Maroons claimed all the first-place votes in the 11-player division. Marquette is second, with Westwood and Negaunee tied for third, and Calumet fifth. North Central continues to lead the eight-player division, with Forest Park second, Pickford third, and Ontonagon and Munising tied for fourth.
The Detroit Pistons visit the New York Knicks for a preseason contest tonight. Listen for selected regular-season Pistons games on 99.3 The Lift.
In the National League Divisional Series yesterday…
• The Milwaukee Brewers’ season ended with a 5-4 loss to the Atlanta Braves. Freddie Freeman’s homer off Josh Hader in the eighth inning was the game-winner. Atlanta wins the series 3-1.
• The Los Angeles Dodgers defeated the San Francisco Giants 7-2. That series is tied 2-2, and will be decided tomorrow.
In the American League Divisional Series yesterday…
• The Houston Astros thumped the Chicago White Sox 10-1. Houston wins the series 3-1, and will host the opening game of the American League Championship Series Friday against the Boston Red Sox.
The beleaguered Detroit Lions will finish the season without Pro Bowl center Frank Ragnow. The toe injury he suffered in the Lions’ week four loss to the Chicago Bears will require surgery.
The POW/MIA 5k Bridge Run will take place Saturday. The run honors POW/MIA individuals, and raises money for the Hubbell VFW Post to assist local veterans. The cost is $20.00. Onsite registration begins at 9:30 at the ROTC Building at Michigan Tech. For more details and registration information, click here.
Upcoming Local Sports Broadcasts
• Calumet football welcomes Hancock Friday. Coverage starts at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Houghton football plays at Negaunee Friday. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell entertains Forest Park Saturday. Coverage will start at 1:10 on KBear 102.3.
• Finlandia University hosts Martin Luther University Saturday. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.