Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In volleyball last evening…
• Hancock downed Negaunee 3-1.
• Calumet shut down Ishpeming 3-0 (25-7, 25-12, 25-15). Helen Beiring had 12 kills. Kaylie Halonen had five aces and 12 digs, Laina Karieniemi had 17 assists.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City blanked Ontonagon 3-0.
• Jeffers lost to Ironwood 3-0 (25-21, 25-6, 25-18).
• Chassell defeated Watersmeet 3-1 (27-25, 20-25, 25-22, 25-19).
• Baraga got past Ewen-Trout Creek 3-1.
• L’Anse fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 3-0 (25-18, 25-23, 25-11).
The Finlandia University volleyball team lost 3-1 (25-19, 22-25, 25-12, 27-25) to Northland College last night. Joslyn Perala had 18 kills, 28 digs and three service aces. Former Calumet standout Elli Djerf had 12 kills and 12 digs.
Finlandia’s men’s soccer team plays at Great Lakes Christian College today.
Harold Castro’s walk-off single in the bottom of the 10th gave the Tigers a 4-3 victory over the Royals last evening. K-C got off to a quick start, plating three runs off Joey Wentz over the first four innings. Detroit tied the game in the eighth, on RBI singles from Castro and Riley Greene.
The Tigers have won four straight, and host the Royals again tonight. Matt Manning will start against Daniel Lynch. Coverage begins at 6:20 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers lost to the Cardinals 6-2. Adrian Houser gave up three runs before leaving in the fourth with a groin injury. Rowdy Tellez homered. The win clinched the NFC Central Division title for Saint Louis.
Houser will be placed on the injured list, which means he’ll miss the rest of the season.
The Brewers entertain the Cardinals again this evening. Brandon Woodruff will pitch against Jose Quintana.
The Phillies also lost, so Milwaukee officially continues to trail Philadelphia by 1.5 games in the race for the final National League Wild Card playoff berth. However, since the Phillies own the tiebreaker against the Brewers, Milwaukee is functionally 2.5 games back, with eight games remaining in the regular season.
The Lions have signed promoted defensive back Anthony Pittman from the practice squad to the active roster. He’ll help fill in for Tracy Walker, who will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL.
The Red Wings opened their preseason schedule with a 6-2 victory last night at Pittsburgh. Dominik Kubalik scored twice. Sebastian Cossa and Victor Brattstrom split time in net, and each allowed a goal.
Detroit hosts the Blackhawks tonight. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tomorrow – Houghton volleyball plays at Hancock. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tomorrow – Calumet volleyball plays at L’Anse. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Calumet football plays at Iron Mountain. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Saturday – Finlandia University football hosts Northwestern (MN). Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.