On the opening night of the high school volleyball tournament…
• In Division Two, Houghton’s season ended with a tough 3-2 (25-18, 26-24, 12-25, 22-25, 15-8) loss to Escanaba.
• In Division Three, Calumet eliminated West Iron County 3-0 (25-13, 25-4, 25-8). Helen Beiring had 13 kills and four aces. The Copper Kings will host Ishpeming tomorrow night. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3. Gwinn blanked Westwood 3-0 in the other district opener. The Modeltowners will visit Hancock tomorrow night.
• In Division Four, District 98, Baraga shut out Chassell 3-0. The Vikings will play at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City tomorrow night. L’Anse dispatched Lake Linden-Hubbell in a tight 3-1 (28-26, 24-26, 25-21, 25-23) match. The Purple Hornets will host Jeffers tomorrow night.
• In Division Four, District 97, Ewen-Trout Creek lost to Wakefield-Marenisco 3-0. The Cardinals play Watersmeet tomorrow night. Ironwood stopped Bessemer 3-0. The Red Devils will face Ontonagon tomorrow night. Both of those games will be played at Bessemer.
Both Finlandia University soccer teams are preparing for the Coast to Coast Athletic Conference tournament. Pairings were announced yesterday. The men’s team is seeded sixth in the six-team field, and will begin play Thursday afternoon against third-seed Wisconsin-Whitewater. The tournament is being held at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia. The women’s team is ranked fifth in the six-team field, and will open Thursday afternoon against tournament host Salisbury University in Salisbury, Maryland.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Montreal Canadiens tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons host the Milwaukee Bucks tonight.
The World Series resumes tonight in Houston. The Atlanta Braves lead the Astros 3-2.
Last night, Harrison Butker’s 34-yard field goal with just over a minute remaining gave the Kansas City Chiefs a 20-17 victory over the New York Giants.
If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least nine games correctly to be eligible to become our weekly winner.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tomorrow night – District tournament volleyball – Ishpeming at Calumet – 5:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Friday – Division Six district championship football – Calumet at Negaunee – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Saturday – College football – Greenville University visits Finlandia University – 12:40 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.