Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school volleyball last evening…
• Hancock defeated Houghton 3-1.
• Calumet dispatched L’Anse 3-0 (25-13, 25-17, 25-16).
• Chassell v Dollar Bay-Tamarack City – no report.
• Jeffers outlasted Wakefield-Marenisco 3-1 (25-19, 25-18, 20-25, 25-21).
• Ontonagon v Ironwood and Watersmeet in a triangular – no report.
• Ewen-Trout Creek got past Bessemer 3-1.
In volleyball tomorrow…
• Houghton plays at the Wright Invitational, in Wrightstown, Wisconsin.
• Calumet plays at a showcase in the Detroit area.
• Chassell and Ontonagon compete at the Hurley Tournament.
At the Tracy Strom Cross Country Invitational at Ishpeming yesterday…
• Houghton easily won the girls title, with Hancock second, and Calumet third. Ishpeming’s Lola Korpi claimed individual honors, with Houghton’s Tessa Rautiola, Lily Ross and Claire Filpus taking the next three positions. Ella Keranen paced the Bulldogs with a 10th-place finish, and Milia Sturos finished 13th for the Copper Kings.
• Jeffers won the boys meet, with Houghton finishing second. Cyrus Hamlin of the Gremlins finished first individually. For the Jets, Tavin Larson, Landon Larson, Cameron Anderson and Brit Heinonen filled the third through sixth spots.
• See full results here.
Houghton cross country runs at the Soo Elks Invitational tomorrow.
In high school football tonight…
• Calumet plays at Iron Mountain. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Houghton’s game against West Iron County has been called off.
• Hancock travels to Westwood.
• L’Anse plays at Negaunee.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell visits Forest Park.
• Ontonagon journeys to Norway.
Michigan Tech’s football team plays at Davenport tomorrow afternoon.
Northern Michigan travels to Wayne State University.
Finlandia hosts Northwestern of Minnesota. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The Finlandia volleyball team earned its first victory of the season last evening, defeating Bay College 3-1. Elli Djerf and Joslyn Perala each had 18 kills.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team plays at Lake Superior State tonight, and Ferris State tomorrow.
The MTU soccer team plays at Northern Michigan tonight.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team fell 2-1 at Albion College last evening. Skylar Thomas scored the Lions’ goal
Both the Finlandia men’s and women’s soccer teams visit Maranatha Baptist tomorrow afternoon.
The Michigan Tech hockey team hosts Lake Superior State for an exhibition contest tomorrow. Faceoff is at 2:07 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
The Northern Michigan hockey team opens its CCHA season with games at Bowling Green tomorrow and Sunday.
The Red Wings host the Capitals in a preseason game tonight. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers pounded the Royals 10-3 yesterday. Javier Báez and Willi Castro homered, and Tucker Barnhardt had three hits. Castro later left the game with a hamstring strain, and will miss the rest of the season.
The Tigers have won six straight, and host the Twins tonight. Tyler Alexander will start against Joe Ryan. Coverage begins at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit will also finish the season without Kerry Carpenter, who suffered a back injury during batting practice before Wednesday’s contest.
The Brewers lost to the Marlins 4-2. Eric Lauer turned in five shutout innings, but Freddy Peralta served up a two-out grand slam to Avisaíl García in the eighth.
The Brewers entertain the Marlins again this evening. Corbin Burnes will pitch against Sandy Alcantara.
The Phillies lost again, so Milwaukee still officially trails Philadelphia by a half-game in the race for the final National League Wild Card playoff berth. However, since the Phillies own the tiebreaker against the Brewers, Milwaukee is functionally 1.5 games back, with six games remaining in the regular season.
In last night’s NFL game, the Bengals shut down the Dolphins 27-15. Miami quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was taken off the field on a stretcher after a hard hit. He was examined at a hospital, but was released.
• The Lions host the Seahawks in a 1:00 game. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Packers welcome the Patriots for a 4:25 contest.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tonight – Calumet football plays at Iron Mountain. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tomorrow – Finlandia University football hosts Northwestern (MN). Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
- Tuesday – Houghton volleyball plays at Calumet. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.