Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
In high school volleyball yesterday…
• Calumet shut down West Iron County 3-0 (25-10, 25-18, 25-8). Allie Bjorn had 17 kills, seven aces and five blocks. Maddie Torola had five kills, Jackie Kiilunen had six kills, and Caitlyn Strom had four kills and three blocks. Laina Kariniemi had 35 assists.
• Houghton stopped Gwinn 3-0 (25-8, 25-18, 25-22). Clea Olanketto had four aces. Sophia Neves had 11 kills and three blocks. Danica Ryynanen and Laney Johnson each had five kills. Brynn Arko had four kills and three aces.
• Hancock outscored Lake Linden-Hubbell 3-1.
In volleyball today…
• Jeffers plays at Ontonagon.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City travels to Ewen-Trout Creek.
• L’Anse journeys to Westwood.
In high school football tonight…
• Calumet entertains Westwood. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Houghton welcomes Kingsford. Because of a programming conflict, coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
• Hancock hosts Menominee.
• L’Anse does not have a game this week.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell will face Inland Lakes at Munising High School.
Ontonagon entertains Stephenson tomorrow night.
At the Jeffers Invitational Cross Country meet at the Kilpela Farm yesterday, the host Jets won the boys competition. Dollar Bay-Tamarack City came in second, with Ironwood third, and Hancock fourth. Chassell’s Kalvin Kytta placed first individually, 12 seconds faster than Jeffers’ Landon Larson. Hancock won the girls meet, followed by Ironwood, Gogebic and West Iron County. Aubrey Smith of the Red Devils took individual honors, with Hancock’s Ella Keranen 12 seconds off the pace.
See full results here.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team will open its season at home against Winona State tonight. First serve is at 6:00.
The Tech soccer team entertains Saint Cloud State tonight at 7:00.
The Tigers dropped their fifth straight game last night, falling to the Yankees 6-2. New York got off to a quick start, with two runs off opener Brendan White, and four more off Joey Wentz, who turned in five innings. Detroit collected just four hits, including solo home runs by Jake Rogers and Spencer Torkelson.
The Tigers host the Yankees again today. Matt Manning will start against Clarke Schmidt. Coverage will begin at 12:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers lost to the Cubs 3-2 yesterday. Chicago got just three hits, including an infield single off the glove of pitcher Joel Payamps in the bottom of the eighth that plated the winning run.
The Brewers have today off, and welcome the Phillies tomorrow. Freddy Peralta will start against Zack Wheeler.
The loss shrinks Milwaukee’s lead over Chicago in the National League Central Division to just three games.
The Baraga County Chamber of Commerce is looking for timekeepers and scorekeepers for this year’s Keweenaw Bay and Beyond Frozen Cup tournament. The Frozen Cup will be held December 15th through 17th at the Baraga and Meadowbrook rinks. The pay is $15 per game, with at least two games guaranteed. Workers should be at least 15 years old, and have some hockey knowledge. To apply, email email@example.com.
High School Sports Broadcasts
- Tonight – Football – Houghton entertains Kingsford – because of a scheduling conflict, coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
- Tonight – Football – Calumet hosts Westwood – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org