In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet blanked Gwinn 3-0 (25-19, 25-11, 25-16). Helen Beiring had 13 kills, 2 aces and 7 digs. Marybeth Halonen added 6 kills, 2 aces and 9 digs.
• Houghton swept Lake Linden-Hubbell 3-0 (25-16, 25-20, 25-20).
• Hancock defeated L’Anse 3-1 (25-17, 24-26, 25-17, 25-14).
• Chassell fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 3-0 (25-15, 25-11, 25-17).
• Ontonagon got past Watersmeet 3-1 (25-18, 25-18, 22-25, 25-16).
In volleyball tomorrow…
• Houghton plays at the Escanaba Invitational.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at the Bark River Tournament.
At the Ewen-Trout Creek Invitational cross country meet yesterday…
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City edged out Ironwood to win the girls team title.
• Jeffers shaded Dollar Bay-Tamarack City to take boy team honors.
• Individual results were not provided.
In high school football tonight…
• Hancock visits Iron Mountain.
• L’Anse travels to Westwood.
• Ontonagon plays at North Central.
In football tomorrow…
• Calumet plays at Houghton. The home team station gets the broadcast, so listen for coverage beginning at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell faces Carney-Nadeau at the North Central field. Coverage will start at 1:40 on KBear 102.3.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
The Michigan Tech hockey team opens its season with non-conference games at the University of Wisconsin tonight and tomorrow night.
The Northern Michigan University hockey team begins its campaign at home, with conference tilts against St. Thomas tonight and tomorrow night.
The Michigan Tech soccer team visits 9th-ranked Ferris State University this afternoon, then hosts Wisconsin-Parkside Sunday.
Both Finlandia University soccer teams head to Storm Lake, Iowa, for matches against Buena Vista University tomorrow.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team hosts Northern Michigan University tomorrow at 4:00.
The MTU football team visits Wayne State tomorrow evening.
The NMU football squad plays at Davenport University tomorrow afternoon.
The Finlandia University football team hosts Minnesota-Morris tomorrow. Coverage begins at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
On the opening day of the American League Divisional Series…
• The Houston Astros defeated the Chicago White Sox 6-1. That set continues this afternoon in Houston.
• The Tampa Bay Rays blanked the Boston Red Sox 5-0. That series continues tonight in Tampa.
The National League Divisional Series begin today…
• The Milwaukee Brewers host the Atlanta Braves this afternoon.
• The Los Angeles Dodgers visit the San Francisco Giants tonight.
The Detroit Red Wings outskated the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-2 in exhibition play last night. Pius Suter and Filip Hronek scored early. Joe Veleno netted the game-winner late in the third period, and Tyler Bertuzzi added an empty-netter. Thomas Greiss stopped 22 shots.
The Wings wrap up their preseason schedule tomorrow afternoon at Buffalo. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit began paring down the roster, in advance of next week’s season-opener. Yesterday, five players were assigned to minor league teams. Defensemen Brian Lashoff and Ryan Murphy were put on waivers, and can be assigned to the minor leagues If no other team claims them. Seven players were released, including former Northern Michigan University standout Dominik Shine, who has spent the past four seasons with the Wings’ Grand Rapids farm team.
In last night’s NFL contest, the Los Angeles Rams defeated the Seattle Seahawks 26-17. Matthew Stafford threw for 365 yards and a touchdown.
The Detroit Lions visit the Minnesota Vikings for a 1:00 match on Sunday.
The Green Bay Packers visit the Cincinnati Bengals for a 1:00 match on Sunday.
Upcoming Local Broadcasts
• Calumet football plays at Houghton tomorrow afternoon. The home team station gets the broadcast, coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97-7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell football visits Carney-Nadeau tomorrow afternoon, with coverage at 1:40 on KBear 102.
• Finlandia football hosts Minnesota-Morris tomorrow afternoon. Coverage begins at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.