Click on the blue links for additional details.
Miguel Cabrera’s bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the 11th inning lifted the Detroit Tigers to a 6-5 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays yesterday. J.D. Martinez had forced extra innings by tying the game with a home run in the eighth inning. Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez gave up five runs over six innings. Six relievers combined to throw five scoreless innings. Warwick Saupold got the win.
The Tigers open a series at Kansas City tonight. Jordan Zimmermann will start against Jason Vargas. Pregame coverage begins at 7:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit manager Brad Ausmus also announced that Matthew Boyd will be called up from Toledo to start tomorrow’s game. Daniel Norris is being sent to Toledo for a rehab start. He’s been on the Disabled List with a groin strain.
The Milwaukee Brewers dropped a 5-2 decision to the Philadelphia Phillies yesterday. Milwaukee starter Matt Garza gave up just one run over five innings. Rob Scahill replaced him in the sixth, and loaded the bases. Tyler Webb came on, and gave up a grand slam to Nick Williams. Brett Phillips hit his first major league home run for Milwaukee.
The Brewers begin a series at Pittsburgh tonight. Brent Suter will pitch against Chad Kuhl.
Fast Pitch Softball
The Copper Country Fast Pitch Softball League tournament begins tonight…
– At the Boneyard in Lake Linden, Mattila Rock and Dock will face Northern Michigan Land Brokers at 5:45. Calumet Golf Club/Loading Zone II will play Frank A. Douglass Agency at 7:15.
– At the Chassell field, Campioni’s True Value will meet regular-season champion Superior National Bank at 7:15.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play this evening…
– At the Dreamland Bar, Loading Zone II plays Harter’s Party Store.
– At the Drift Inn, Drift Inn entertains Calumet Electronics.
– At Rocky’s Bar, Dreamland Two meets Calumet One.
– At Ahmeek Park, Ahmeek Fire Department welcomes Rocky’s Bar.
– At the Calumet Dam, Harter’s Carquest plays L and L.
Email sports stories and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.