In high school baseball yesterday…
• Hancock edged Calumet 8-7 in extra innings in the opener of their doubleheader. Calumet came back to take the nightcap 7-2, in a game that ended early because of rain.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell and Gogebic split their doubleheader, with the Miners taking game one 9-7, and the Lakes claiming the nightcap 10-9.
• Jeffers swept L’Anse, 9-1 and 15-1.
In baseball tomorrow…
• Houghton, Calumet and Hancock compete at the WestPAC Tournament at Iron Mountain.
• Jeffers entertains Ironwood at noon.
In softball yesterday…
• Houghton took two from Hancock, 4-1 and 8-4.
• Calumet swept L’Anse, 15-0 and 16-0. The first game ended after four innings. Jana Loukus had two hits and drove in five runs. Emma Perala had two hits, and drove in three. Emily Peterson struck out seven, and earned the win. The second game was called after three innings. Loukus added two more hits, and drive in two more runs. Peterson, Laura Giachino and Emma Kargela each added two RBI. Kaylee Halonen earned the win with five strikeouts.
• Baraga’s games against Gogebic were rained out.
In softball today…
• Baraga welcomes Ironwood.
In softball tomorrow…
• Houghton, Calumet and Hancock play at the WestPAC Tournament at Hancock.
The golf meet scheduled for today at the Calumet Course has been canceled because the course is not yet playable.
At the Division One U.P. Track and Field Regional at Negaunee yesterday…
• Kingsford won the boys meet, with Houghton second and Calumet third. For the Gremlins, Eric Weiss won the 800, 1600 and 3200-meter runs. Dryden Nelson of the Copper Kings took the 100-meter dash and the long jump.
• Negaunee earned the girls title, with Houghton second and Calumet fourth. The Gremlins’ Ingrid Seagren won the 800, 1600 and 3200-meter runs.
• See full results here.
Today, Hancock, L’Anse and Jeffers compete at the Division Two U.P. Regionals at West Iron County.
NHL conference semifinals continued last night…
• In the Eastern Conference, the Lightning edged the Panthers 2-1. Tampa Bay leads the series 2-0.
• In the Western Conference, the Blues outscored the Avalanche 4-1. That series is tied 1-1.
• In the Eastern Conference, the Rangers visit the Hurricanes. Carolina leads the series 1-0.
• In the Western Conference, the Flames host the Oilers. Calgary leads that set 1-0.
In the NBA Eastern Conference finals last night, the Celtics overpowered the Heat 127-102. That series is tied 1-1.
In the Western Conference finals tonight, the Warriors host the Mavericks. Golden State leads that set 1-0.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and visit the Cleveland Guardians this evening. Tarik Skubal will pitch against Aaron Civale. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit pitcher Matt Manning had to leave his rehab start with the Toledo Mud Hens after two innings last night. Team officials say the early departure came because he was ill, and was not related to the shoulder inflammation that placed him on the injured list a month ago. The Tigers had hoped he could return to the rotation next week, but that’s now in doubt.
The Milwaukee Brewers also had yesterday off, and host the Washington Nationals tonight. Eric Lauer will start against Erick Fedde.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.