Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
In boys’ high school basketball Friday night…
– Houghton turned back a stubborn Hancock squad to win the annual Wing Ding game 61-47. Nate Gockenbach of the Gremlins led all scorers with 20 points. Jared Peryam scored 19 for the Bulldogs.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell remained unbeaten with a 59-40 victory over L’Anse.
– Jeffers pounded Chassell 69-38.
– Dollar Bay shaded Ontonagon 54-53.
– The Calumet – West Iron County game was weathered out.
– The Baraga game at Republic-Michigamme was weathered out.
In girls’ action tonight…
– Houghton plays at Calumet in a battle for first place in the WestPAC. The Gremlins are unbeaten in conference play. The Copper Kings’ only loss was to Houghton earlier this season.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell visits Republic-Michigamme.
– Hancock entertains West Iron County.
– Chassell tips off at Jeffers.
– Baraga visits Ewen-Trout Creek
– Dollar Bay hosts Watersmeet.
In high school hockey Friday…
At the Trenton MIHL Showcase, all three games played by our local teams wound up being decided in shootouts.
– Houghton defeated Northville 1-0.
– Hancock got past University Liggett 4-3.
– Calumet fell 5-4 to Grandville.
Locally, Friday night, Jeffers defeated Ashland 4-2.
Saturday morning at the Trenton Showcase…
– Hancock fell to Hartland 3-0.
– Calumet defeated Grand Rapids Christian 3-0. Dylan Boberg, Trevor Johnson and Robert Erkkila scored for the Copper Kings. Ian Carroll earned the shutout in goal.
– Houghton fell to Trenton 4-2. Cale Markham and Riley McKay scored for the Gremlins.
– L’Anse defeated Ashland 7-4 Saturday afternoon.
Tonight, L’Anse entertains Negaunee. Pregame coverage begins around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
MTU Hockey Sweeps at Anchorage; Women’s Hoops Takes Title
The fifth-ranked Michigan Tech hockey team exploded for five goals in the first period, and five more in the third, and blanked Alaska-Anchorage 10-0 Saturday night. Jamie Phillips stopped 34 shots to record his fourth shutout of the season. Alex Petan became the 63rd player in Tech history to reach the 100-point mark for his career with a goal and two assists. On Friday night, the Huskies outskated the Seawolves 5-1.
The 11th-ranked Michigan Tech women’s basketball team clinched the GLIAC North title outright Saturday with a 53-42 victory over Saginaw Valley State University. Morgan Anderson scored a career-best 21 points for Tech.
The Huskies’ men’s team upset the GLIAC North-leading Cardinals 75-70. Ben Stelzer scored 25 points, and Luke Heller added a career-high 20.
Finlandia Falls to Lawrence
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team lost to Lawrence University 2-1 Friday night. The Lions closed their season on a high note, with a 4-0 victory over Lawrence on Saturday. Lane King scored twice for the Lions, and Jordan Marr stopped 24 shots to earn the shutout. Finlandia ended its season with a record of 5-19-1.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team lost to the College of Saint Scholastica 4-0 Saturday night.
GLHL – Wolverines Thrash Deacons
In Great Lakes Hockey League action Saturday night, the Calumet Wolverines ripped the DePere Deacons 12-4. Jeff Erkkila, Levi Erkkila and Wyatt Smith each scored twice for Calumet. The result of yesterday’s Portage Lake Pioneers’ game against the Deacons was not reported.
NHL – Red Wings Host Montreal
The Detroit Red Wings host the Canadiens tonight. Face-off is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
NBA – Pistons Off for All-Star Break
The Pistons are off for the all-star break. They’ll host the Bulls Friday night.
Our high school hockey coverage continues tonight, when L’Anse hosts Negaunee. Hear the Copper Country’s most complete hockey and basketball coverage this winter on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.