In high school baseball yesterday…
• Calumet defeated L’Anse 4-1, in a game that was called in the sixth inning because of lightning. The second game of the doubleheader was canceled.
On the baseball schedule today…
• Houghton travels to Ontonagon.
• Houghton, Calumet and L’Anse compete at the Negaunee Invitational.
In softball yesterday…
• Houghton v L’Anse – no report.
• The Calumet games at Iron Mountain were canceled.
• Hancock downed Ishpeming 4-2. The second game was called off because of rain.
In golf yesterday, at the Hancock Invitational…
• Houghton won the boys meet, with Calumet third and Hancock fourth. Chad Nordstrom from Hancock and Ryan Vlahos from Houghton tied for second individually. See boys results here.
• In the girls meet, Houghton finished fifth, with Calumet seventh. See girls results here.
In track and field today…
• The Houghton County Invitational will be held at the Houghton track.
• L’Anse competes at the Negaunee Invitational.
NHL opening-round playoff action continued last evening.
In the Eastern Conference…
• The Bruins downed the Hurricanes 5-2. That series is tied 3-3.
• The Lightning edged the Maple Leafs 4-3 in overtime. That set is tied 3-3.
In the Western Conference…
• The Blues dispatched the Wild 5-1. Saint Louis wins that series 4-1.
• The Oilers downed the Kings 4-2. That set is tied 3-3.
In the Eastern Conference tonight…
• The Penguins host the Rangers. Pittsburgh leads that series 3-2.
• The Panthers visit the Capitals. Florida leads that set 3-2.
In the Western Conference tonight…
• The Stars welcome the Flames. Calgary is up 3-2 in that series.
The NBA conference semifinal playoffs continued yesterday…
• In the Eastern Conference, the Heat dispatched the 76ers 99-90. Miami wins that series 4-2.
• In the Western Conference, the Mavericks shut down the Suns 113-86. That set is tied 3-3.
• In the Eastern Conference, the Bucks welcome the Celtics. Milwaukee lead that series 3-2.
• In the Western Conference, the Warriors host the Grizzlies. Golden State is up 3-2 in that set.
The Detroit Tigers lost 5-3 to the Oakland Athletics yesterday. Beau Brieske gave up three runs in the first inning, but settled down, and allowed no more through the sixth. Detroit came back to tie the game, but Michael Fulmer served up a two-run homer in the eighth, and took the loss.
The Tigers host the Baltimore Orioles tonight. Eduardo Rodriguez will pitch against Jordan Lyles. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers had yesterday off, and host the Washington Nationals tonight. Corbin Burnes will start against Pablo Lopez.
NFL schedules were released yesterday.
The Lions and the Packers will meet November 9th in Detroit, and January 8th to close the regular season in Green Bay.
The Packers have one Monday night game, December 19th against the Rams. They have a Thursday night game November 17th against the Titans. They have three Sunday night contests – September 18th against the Bears, October 30th against the Bills, and November 27th against the Eagles. They’ll face the Giants in London October 9th.
The Lions have no Thursday night, Sunday night, or Monday night games. They’ll host the Bills on Thanksgiving.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.