Click on the blue links for more details.
In high school volleyball last night…
– Houghton defeated Negaunee 3-1.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell v Wakefield – not reported.
– Chassell came from two sets down to edge Jeffers 3-2.
– L’Anse v Baraga – not reported.
– Ewen-Trout Creek v Watersmeet – not reported.
In high school volleyball tomorrow…
– Houghton travels to the Pulaski Invitational.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell and L’Anse play at the Forest Park Invitational.
In high school football tonight…
– Houghton entertains Lake Linden-Hubbell. The game will be played at Sherman Field, because the new field at Houghton High School is not quite ready. Pregame coverage begins around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Hancock welcomes Gwinn.
– Calumet travels to West Iron County.
– L’Anse entertains Munising.
– Ontonagon welcomes Superior Central.
In cross country, at the Hancock Invitational yesterday…
– The Houghton girls took took a narrow team victory over Hancock. Chassell placed third, Calumet fifth, and Dollar Bay-Tamarack City seventh. For the Gremlins, Anabel Needham took first overall. Maria Velat was third, and Ingrid Seagren fifth. Ellie Sturos placed seventh for the Bulldogs, and Kalli Chynoweth finished ninth. Lela Rautiola earned a second place finish for the Panthers, and Jenna Pietilia placed sixth. Calumet’s Clarity Gipp finished 10th.
– Ishpeming won the boys’ meet, followed by Wakefield-Marenisco. Houghton was third, Chassell fourth, Dollar Bay-Tamarack City eighth, Jeffers ninth, and Ontonagon 11th. Joe Wood of the Gremlins finished third individually, and Brandon Peterson placed seventh. Ben Tuomi of Chassell finished eighth, and Dollar Bay’s Davin Hill was 10th.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team lost 3-1 at Emmaus Bible College in Dubuque, Iowa, yesterday. All of the Eagles goals came in the first half. Osvaldo Cruz scored the Lions’ only goal on a penalty kick in the second half. The Lions will host Lawrence University tomorrow morning at 11:00 at McAfee Field.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team will play at Lakeland University tomorrow.
The Lions volleyball team is in Galesburg, Illinois, for the Marissa Strong Invitational. They’ll face Monmouth University this afternoon, and Knox College tonight.
The Finlandia football team plays at Eureka College in Illinois tomorrow.
The Michigan Tech soccer team plays at Wisconsin-Parkside this afternoon.
The MTU volleyball squad entertains Northwood University tonight at 7:00, and Ferris State University tomorrow afternoon at 4:00.
The Tech football team welcomes Davenport University tomorrow afternoon at 1:00.
The Northern Michigan University football team will host Grand Valley State University tomorrow afternoon.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and open a series at Cleveland tonight. Matthew Boyd will start against Josh Tomlin. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers also had yesterday off, and begin a home set against the Pittsburgh Pirates this evening. Gio Gonzalez will pitch against Chris Archer.
The Cubs won last night, and now lead Milwaukee by a game-and-a-half in the National League Central Division. It was a costly victory though, as closer Pedro Strop injured a hamstring while running the bases. Strop had been filling in for injured closer Brandon Morrow.
In last night’s NFL game, the Cincinnati Bengals defeated the Baltimore Ravens 34-23.
The Green Bay Packers visit the Minnesota Vikings for a 1:00 game on Sunday. There’s still no word as to whether quarterback Aaron Rodgers will be able to play. The Detroit Lions play at San Francisco in a 4:05 game on Sunday. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Calumet Hockey Association registration will take place tomorrow from 10:00 am until noon. Please register your player through USA hockey first and bring the bar code with you to registration. Sign up with USA hockey here.
The Finlandia University men’s ice hockey team will conduct a free skills clinic for boys and girls tomorrow at the Houghton County Arena. Bring your own equipment, and be ready to start at 11:00.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.