In high school volleyball tonight…
• Calumet visits Westwood.
• Houghton’s match against Marquette has been canceled.
• Hancock plays at Ishpeming.
• Baraga visits Lake Linden-Hubbell.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City travels to L’Anse.
• Jeffers hosts Bessemer.
• Ewen-Trout Creek plays at Watersmeet.
In cross country…
• Calumet, Houghton and Hancock run at the WestPAC Finals in Negaunee.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, Baraga, Jeffers and Ontonagon will be among the teams at the Copper Mountain Conference Finals.
All of our local youth hockey leagues are appealing for help to address a severe shortage of officials. Jason Parker from the Copper Country Junior Hockey Association reports that turnout at the recent USA Hockey officials seminar last weekend was well short of what will be needed to cover the upcoming season. A second seminar has been scheduled as follows:
• Monday and Tuesday, October 25th and 26th – 6:00 pm until 9:00 pm – Level 1 Classroom.
• Thursday, October 28th – 6:30pm until 9:30 pm – Levels 2 and 3 Classroom.
• Monday, November 1st – Time TBD – Levels 1 and 2 Ice Time.
Adults and experienced youth players can sign up to be officials. You must register first at USAHockey.com. If you have questions, contact Jason Parker at (254) 707-0809 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Marc Norton at (906) 370-1300. Information about officiating is also posted at the Copper Country Junior Hockey Association website.
The Finlandia University women’s soccer team will play at Maranatha Baptist this afternoon.
Saturday’s football game between Finlandia and Martin Luther University has been called off because of COVID-19 protocols. Neither school is saying which team has the problem. The contest could be made up later in the season, if the teams’ schedules allow.
The Detroit Pistons lost to the New York Knicks 108-100 in a preseason contest last night. Jerami Grant led Detroit with 18 points. Isaiah Stewart grabbed eight rebounds.
The Pistons host the Philadelphia 76ers in their final preseason game tomorrow. Listen for selected regular-season Pistons games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Red Wings begin their 2021-2022 campaign at home tonight against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, coverage will begin at 7:15 on KBear 102.3.
The Divisional Round wraps up tonight, as the San Francisco Giants host the Los Angeles Dodgers Their set is tied 2-2.
In tonight’s NFL game, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers visit the Philadelphia Eagles. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Please have your picks in The Wolf Pro Football Challenge turned in by noon today at one of our sponsors.
Outdoor Sports Gear Swap
The Copper Country Ski Tigers will hold their fall outdoor gear swap Saturday at Ray Kestner Waterfront Park in Houghton. Buy and sell outdoor gear – cross country skis, snow bikes, bikes, camping gear, outdoor clothing, or any other item for the silent sports enthusiast.
Items to be sold should be dropped off between 8:30 and 11:15. The sale runs from 11:30 to 2:30. Pick up unsold items and/or checks for sold equipment between 3:00 and 4:00.
There is a 15 percent commission, with a $75.00 maximum per item, charged on all items sold. All proceeds are used to support the Copper Country Ski Tigers racing teams.
Upcoming Local Sports Broadcasts
• Calumet football welcomes Hancock tomorrow. Coverage starts at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Houghton football plays at Negaunee tomorrow. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell football entertains Forest Park Saturday. Coverage will start at 1:10 on KBear 102.3.
• Houghton and Calumet volleyball compete in the WestPAC tournament Saturday. Listen for coverage on 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.